LDBDA : 7530.3
glass lantern slide
1/4 plate glass lantern slide of a dental inspection in the central hall of the Lancastrian Girls School, Chichester. The school dentist, C. Doswell Wallis, can be seen examining the children's mouths. The Headteacher can be seen filling in clinic cards. Circa 1900.
The British Dental Association called for a school dental service to be provided by the state in 1885. Some Poor Law and Public schools had already appointed dentists and in 1896 they formed the School Dentists Society. Its main aim was to inform education authorities of the need for treatment. The 1907 Education Act made it compulsory for education authorities to arrange dental inspections but they did not have to provide treatment. In the same year George Cunningham opened the Cambridge Dental Institute, the first children's clinic in the UK. Education authorities gradually followed his lead and school dental clinics began to be established. Under the 1944 Education Act, local authorities were finally obliged to secure treatment for all school children.
glass; length 80 mm; width 80 mm