LDBDA : 10108
black and white photograph
photograph showing Shepperton Road School Toothbrush Club, 1912.
Toothbrush clubs were set up in schools in the early 1900s. Children would pay a farthing a week for eight weeks (a tuppence in total) and in return they would receive a toothbrush. Some schools also provided powdered chalk to use as a toothpaste. Children would often buy toothbrushes for their parents as presents although it was not uncommon at this time for families to share a toothbrush between the whole family.